Following the announcement that the iPad 2 will ship on 11 March in the US and a fortnight later in the UK, the Apple fanbase has predictably gone wild.
The #iPad2 hashtag was a top trend on Twitter today, notching up 4,418 tweets over the last seven days on Twitter analytics site wthashtag.com.
However, not all of the commentary in the social media space has been positive. Data from Alterian's social media analytics tool SM2 showed that, prior to the launch event, 56 per cent of the commentary around Apple's iPad 2 had been positive, with the remaining 44 per cent being negative.
Interestingly, conversations about anticipated competitor RIM's PlayBook received commentary that was split about 80 per cent positive and 20 per cent negative.
Here is a look at some of the commentary around the iPad 2.
According to Andrew Bud, global chair of the Mobile Entertainment Forum (MEF), the iPad 2 demonstrates how mobile connected devices such as tablets are fast becoming the primary access point for content and entertainment.
"Whereas many predicted that the mobile internet would soon dance to the tune of the fixed-line internet ecosystem, the opposite is beginning to happen. Mobile is becoming the preferred platform for an ever-widening number of services," he said.
Forrester analyst Sarah Rotman Epps was impressed by the new tablet, and believes the iPad 2 will claim 80 per cent of the US tablet market in 2011.
"Apple still defines the tablet market. In a post-PC world, consumers have a more intimate relationship with their devices. They use them on the couch and in bed and not just at their desk. They show their devices to other people. Fostering that desire is a smart way to differentiate your piece of glass from other pieces of glass that perform essentially the same functions," she said.
Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi was also impressed, and tweeted several times from the launch event, expressing her delight at the product.
"Apple is following the same strategy as iPhone and Mac on pricing. They give you more for the same money. And not having to wait long at all [is another bonus], March 11 for the US and two weeks later to another 19 countries," she tweeted.
She added that the tablet's Smart Cover is an important detail that should not be underestimated. The Smart Cover, which replaces the case of the original iPad, just covers the screen, but folds up into a triangular tube that doubles as a stand for the device. It attaches via a magnetic clasp that automatically aligns the cover over the screen.
"Smart covers might not seem much to you but to me this is the kind of detail that keeps Apple miles ahead of its competitors."
Bob O'Donnell, IDC’s programme vice-president for clients and displays, was less blown away.
“Basically it's what everyone expected for the most part,” he told Computing sister web site V3.co.uk.
“There was nothing specific there for enterprise. Indeed some companies don’t want the new cameras because of privacy and security concerns.”
Tech web site The Register described the iPad 2 as evolutionary, rather than revolutionary.
"All in all, the iPad 2 isn't exactly what you'd call a disappointment – well, unless you were expecting something truly 'magical'. The iPad 2 adds little magic to the original iPad, and it is most certainly not revolutionary."
Does Google know too much about you?
The trend towards non-desktop-based devices is enabling more flexible working practices and behaviours
Date: 29 May 2013
THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO ILLNESS. Business intelligence is enjoying an upsurge of interest. In an era in which businesses and organisations...
Date: 11 Jun 2013
The enterprise mobility summit will examine how organisations can manage the increasing array of endpoints which are enabling mobile computing in business....